Socio-economic developmental ideals cannot be achieved without ensuring participation of women in Higher Education. Eminent educationists and social reformers of Burdwan felt this truth way back in the 1950's. As the conservative guardians of the time were hesitant to send their female wards to a co-educational college for higher education, they founded Maharajadhiraj Uday Chand Women's College on 28th July 1955. Initially it was affiliated to the University of Calcutta; the University of Burdwan became the affiliating university after the establishment of the university in 1960. The college is housed in the palace gifted by Maharajadhiraj Uday Chand Mahatab. Later on, a portion of Anjuman Kachhari attached to the palace was also gifted to the College. As a mark of gratitude the institution has been named after the former Raja of Burdwan, Maharajadhiraj Uday Chand Mahatab.
The college had a modest beginning with only Intermediate Arts and General Degree Course in Arts. The venture was in keeping with the demand of the time when graduation was a dream among women and studies in Humanities were rated high enough. Subsequently when the dedication and endeavour of the teachers of the time succeeded in creating avid interest among literate females of the locality for higher studies, the college introduced Honours Course in various Arts subjects within a few years of its establishment. This was probably because of the pride of place enjoyed by an Honours Course which is still looked upon as intellectually more challenging and having greater career option. Though no Science Course was offered to students at the beginning, in keeping pace with the priority given by the first Planning Commission, the Science Courses were introduced first at the pre-Degree (Intermediate) level in 1957-58. Subsequently Science studies were extended to the Degree level and gradually up-graded to the Honours level.
As the number of students continued to grow, thanks to the spread of literacy among women in the region, the college started the Morning Shift in 1970 which still runs parallel to the Day Shift with a good number of student intake in the General Degree Course (Arts only). Over the years MUC Women's college has emerged as a prestigious institution of higher learning not only in the locality but also in the entire District of Burdwan and the neighbouring districts. It is now being increasingly felt that mere traditional education, however precious, is not adequate for the women of our time. It is to be supplemented with technical-vocational education that enables the learners to play a more meaningful role at home and abroad. Therefore, the following courses have been introduced since 2005: B.Sc. Hons course in Microbiology (2004); PG course in English (2005); BA General course in Physical Education (2005), B.Sc. Hons course in Nutrition (2007), B.Sc. Hons course in Computer Science (2009), B. A. General course in Education (2012); BCA (2015). The college has applied to the affiliating University as well as to the Higher Education Council for introducing PG Course in Nutrition from 2016-17 academic sessions.
Maharajadhiraj Uday Chand Women’s College is a Government Sponsored College, affiliated to Calcutta University from 1955 to June 1960, and to the University of Burdwan thereafter. Subsequently, for introducing PG Course in English in 2005, the college came to be recognized as a Constituent College of the University of Burdwan. It has been recognized by UGC (2F & 12 B) and accredited thrice by NAAC (Grade B+, CGPA 2.64).
It has the rare honour of being visited by Hon'ble Ms Padmaja Naidu, the first woman Governor of the state of West Bengal and by Dr Bidhan Chandra Roy, one of the great architects of modern Bengal. Since then, in the teeth of all odds, the college has remained committed to this noble cause of academically and culturally enlightening women, the gender marginalized segment of the society. The college celebrated its Golden Jubilee during 2004-05. The year-long Jubilee function was inaugurated by Mr Somnath Chattopadhyay, former Speaker, Lok Sabha. The Diamond Jubilee of the college was celebrated with due solemnity during 2014-15. This glorious event in the history of the college was used by the management as an occasion for configuring all round development of the institution.